Return to Main Page
|The South Carolina Judicial Districts in 1769 are shown below. Prior to 1760, South Carolina had one court which was located in Charleston. As the population increased in the north, east and west, the Circuit Court Act was passed by the SC Legislature in 1768. In 1769, seven circuit court districts were established with courthouses. The Ninety-Six District courthouse was established in the village of Ninety-Six. The seven boundaries existed until 1785. In 1777, the Cherokee Indian lands beame part of South Carolina. Source Union County was formed in 1798. [Note: It was the Ninety Six District, not the 96th District.]|
|In 1785, South Carolina laid out counties in each
of the then existing Judicial Districts that existed since 1769.
Those existed from 1786 to 1791.
Greenville Count was established in 1786. Pendleton County was established in 1789 from the former Chorkee lands. Source